I am a Registered Career Development professional with 15 years of training and employment in the field of Career, Employment, Education, Assessments and Vocational Rehabilitation. My own personal career journey began working as a drafts-person at the Engineering Department of Nova Scotia Telephone Company, Halifax, Nova Scotia. After a season of employment in drafting, I decided to make a career change. Uncertain of my vocational direction, I enlisted the guidance and support of a career professional to assist me in my pursuit. After a time of personal reflection and exploration, I chose to return to school, attending Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia. While at Dalhousie University, I completed a double major in Behavioral, Cognitive Psychology/ Education and Sociology and Social Anthropology with a focus on Indigenous Studies.
After completing my degree, I moved to Victoria, British Columbia, where I attained training in Solution-Focused Counseling, practicing at three community agencies. In 2005, I returned to school to become a certified Career Development Practitioner, graduating in 2007.
I am committed to Life Long Learning, keeping myself current through Career Professionals of Canada – Certified Career Strategist 2018 and later as a Certified Work-Life Strategist 2020, Work-Life Coach, 2020.
During my time working as a Career Development Practitioner, I coached people from diverse backgrounds and needs. For example, business professionals, architects, teachers, nurses, workers in the trades and service industry. Agency experiences included:
- BC Employment and EI agencies as a Career Counselor and Coach;
- ETHOS: Career Assistance and Resources for Employment;
- Employment Facilitator; Camosun College, Co-operative Education & Career Services;
- Education Assistant, Life Skills, Job Coach, Work Place Coordinator;
- Songhees and the Esquimalt Nation / Camosun College;
- HR Employment Specialist: Osanis Counseling and Consulting Inc.;
- Employment Programs Coordinator: Victoria Disability Resource Centre;
- Education Advisor: Victoria Native Friendship Centre; and
- In the public school system as an Educational/Special Needs Assistant, W̱SÁNEĆ Tribal School, Saanich, Greater Victoria, BC.
I am proficient in all aspects of career development including
- One-on-one intakes;
- Counseling/coaching in employment, education, assessment and vocational rehabilitation field;
- Aptitude and training, guiding individuals to make considered career decisions through career exploration, job search, information interviews. interview preparation and practice,
- Resume and cover letter writing;
- Marketing resumes; and
- Creating a career portfolio.
B level formal and informal assessments: Life Role Analysis/Self Portrait, Strategic Plans, Strong Interest Inventory, Jackson Interest Inventory, and the Myers Briggs Type Indicator.